Microsoft Dynamics SL is aimed to provide ERP solution to small and medium sized companies. The software is known for its project based features and since it is a Microsoft's product it can be integrated to Microsoft Office Project Server. The software provides business management solution which helps in project management and accounting functionalities improves the efficiency and profitability of projects.
Microsoft Dynamics SL modules includes finance, manufacturing, project accounting, field service, analytics, electronic commerce and supply chain management.
Dynamics SL was originally called Solomon IV and it was created by Solomon Software which was acquired by Great Plains Software in 2000 and later Great Plains was acquired by Microsoft in 2001.
Microsoft Dynamics SL is popular in North America and SL partners are working with other Microsoft Dynamics products such as GP, AX and NAV to learn new strategies but SL still is not considered very stable ERP solution.
The product is built on VB and later it was shifted into VB.NET. The 16 – bit code used for development of SL is considered outdated. The main attraction of the software was its accounting module, project accounting and job cost.
Microsoft Dynamics SL has most of its client's in government sector, construction and distribution industries. Let's look at the major features of this business application in Microsoft Dynamics SL review.
Features of Microsoft Dynamics SL
1. Some of the attractions of Microsoft Dynamics SL are its ease of use and user friendly forms as it is built in Microsoft technologies of VB.NET and SQL SERVER.
2. The software provides budgeting of projects, cost forecasting, unlimited billing, complex allocations, time and expense entry, change order control, web based project analysis, proactive alerts, workflow and employee utilization.
3. The complete project management module is aimed to reduce cost on the jobs, reduce project completion delays, improve customer service etc. The project management module is ideal for construction companies. Microsoft Dynamics SL provide easy operations to projects and in the project management module improved communication between the client, vendors, engineers, architecture and within the company is provided.
4. The distribution focused features such as inventory, billing, sales, distribution and streamline distribution processes are provided through the modules.
5. Microsoft Dynamics SL has single user interface for complex applications of financial module.
6. Microsoft Dynamics SL provides industry specific solution which can meet the end of many different organizations.
7. The solution provided by Microsoft Dynamics SL can depict the data through documents and spreadsheets. The software allows the user to open document in preferred format.
8. The new web based features allows the users to improve communication with client and raise customer satisfaction level.
9. The security feature and user management allows user to get the view of authorities easily. The communication within the organization is improved and the team can work more efficiently when all the data is provided through the software.
10. The reports can be designed and delivered easy as it provides clear insight which helps in decision making.
Drawbacks of Microsoft Dynamics SL
Drawback of Microsoft Dynamics SL is its lack of suitable multi currency features, internationalization and localization.
This Microsoft Dynamics SL review has covered all the major features, advantages and disadvantages of using this software.