Microsoft's Dynamics GP is suitable for mid market business. It works with Microsoft SQL Server 2005 to 2008, as database and it is famous accounting package which was originally developed by Great Plains. There are two versions of Microsoft Dynamics GP - Standard and Professional. Standard version is designed for 10 to 500 users, and Professional version is suitable for unlimited users. Some of the modules found in Microsoft Dynamics GP are finance, sales, purchase, inventory, payroll, project management, manufacturing, company and systems. Let's look at the major features of this business application in Microsoft Dynamics GP review.
GP was originally developed in a language called "Dexterity". The software was designed to have multi user features and to be able to run in Windows 32 bit. It is popular in North America, Middle East, Singapore, UK, Australia and Ireland. It was developed to provide add-on features and therefore, the software allows customers to have industry specific modules integrated to the whole system.
Since it is a Microsoft's product, it is user friendly and gets integrated to Microsoft office applications.
Features of Microsoft Dynamics GP
1. It provides safe, flexible, secure and speedy ERP system, which can take data from systems which are not designed on Microsoft's platform. A number of Microsoft components can be integrated to Microsoft Dynamics GP which can work on COM model, .NET framework, Microsoft Message Queuing, Microsoft BizTalk, Web Technologies and XML. A separate security system is provided by the Windows platform to ensure easy creation of users.
2. The new feature of GP 2010 was launched in May 2010, which includes the facility to work faster as the communicator integration allows the customers to work fast and directly.
3. Some of the new features of Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 are that it can get a better insight into the data using the dashboard features which comes with drill back option. The software incorporates ecommerce which helps in keeping in touch with key relationships.
4. The field service module helps in managing the employees working in field services and it helps in providing easy service to customers. The modules are used to schedule technicians and manage field service.
5. The new reporting tool of Microsoft Dynamics GP 2010 has the feature to define role centers for users and there are more than 400 reports designed in SQL Server Reporting Services which can be viewed in Excel.
6. The new features include increased interoperability with PowerPivot and SharePoint. Professional documents can be created using Word forms and Excel, which is improved to provide Excel reports.
7. It has management reporter designed for Microsoft Dynamics ERP.
8. It can be customized using .NET and a connection between GP and other software can be created.
Drawbacks of Microsoft Dynamics GP
1. The software has been upgraded for small and mid-sized organizations but there are no plans for Software as a solution - SaaS.
2. It does not integrate Microsoft Active directory which raises the need to create separate accounts for different users.
3. The software lacks support to global needs and it is not very strong in multi currency and multi company operations.
This Microsoft Dynamics GP review has covered all the major features, advantages and disadvantages of using this software.